QUESTIONS FOR ALL CANDIDATES FOR MAYOR AND COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF PALM SPRINGS
1. SOUTH PALM SPRINGS: GENERAL ISSUES
What, if any, do you see as the problems, issues and challenges facing the residents and business owners of South Palm Springs?
2. SOUTH PALM SPRINGS: VISION
Do you have a vision for the improvement of the South Palm Springs corridor running along S. Palm Canyon Drive from Sunny Dunes to E. Palm Canyon at Sunrise? If so, what is it and what specific actions in your first year of office would you promote and support to achieve it?
3. SOUTH PALM SPRINGS: BELARDO-MESQUITE AREA
Please detail your understanding of the range of problems related to the land within the following boundaries (Belardo, Mesquite, South Palm Canyon, Sunny Dunes) and your proposed solution to these problems.
4. SOUTH PALM SPRINGS: MAGRUDER DEMOLITION
Should the City play any role in mitigating the effects of the derelict Magruder building, and if so, what should that role be?
5. SOUTH PALM SPRINGS: EXPANDED POLICING
Do you favor expanding police patrols on bikes from a downtown-only program as it is today, to a bike patrol program that extends south to Palm Canyon and Mesquite.
6. ELECTORAL REFORM
Would you favor a commission to study the benefits and costs of changing the council election system in Palm Springs to an alternative that might comprise, at least in part, district-based council elections?
7. CITY-TRIBE GOVERNANCE
What, if any, changes need to be made to the arrangement between the City and the Tribe regarding the application and administration of City ordinances?
For the purposes of this survey:
- South Palm Springs is defined as that part of the city south of Section 14.
- The “South Palm Canyon Corridor” is those businesses and residences in the vicinity of South and East Palm Canyon Drive from Sunny Dunes to Sunrise.
The responses to these questions will be published in an equitable manner for all persons interested in the elections and these issue to read what each candidate has said in reply.